Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Reading Fail - I'm blaming my Kindle

I belong to a few book clubs, and The 19th Wife, by David Ebershoff, was the reading for one of them.


So I finished the book, I enjoyed it, and I learned a little bit. Anyway, I bought the book on my Kindle, and I never even looked at the cover or the back cover before I started reading it. When I got to the end, I skimmed through the author's notes, and then, only then, after I had read the entire book for over a week, did I realize that the book wasn't a non-fiction. What a total fail on my part!! The whole time I was reading, I thought the main character was real and this was his real story. Sigh. Can I blame the Kindle for this? Would I have known it were fiction if I had read the back cover? I can only hope. I at least take solace in the fact that it is a historical fiction, which may have added to the deception.

Up next, for another book club, is The Time Traveler's Wife (I've heard about this book for years now, so I'm happy to finally read it), and The Shame of the Nation by Jonathan Kozol (I loved his book Savage Inequalities, so I'm hoping I will really like this one as well).



And, because I am strange and the most off-beat topics intrigue me, I also bought Dirty Secret, a non-fiction (for real this time) about a girl's struggle with her mother's illness of compulsive hoarding. Yep. This is what I read about in my spare time. ;)


2 comments:

  1. be sure to have some tissues available for the time traveler's wife!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Cindy 6 - Time Traveler's Wife requires kleenex. You are going to burn through it too. I heard Jonathan Kozol speak a few years ago - if you ever get the chance, go!

    ReplyDelete