Friday, April 5, 2013

Box Mix Brownies Made Better - Grasshopper Edition

For the second installment of my doctored box mix brownie series, I went with a mint theme.  I used to love Andes mints - they were a rare treat.  There was a restaurant when I was little that would give you an Andes mint when they brought the check to the table, but for the life of me I can't remember which restaurant is was.  Anyway, I would only get them when we went to that particular restaurant, which wasn't very often, and I always looked forward to it.

In honor of those coveted Andes mints, here is a recipe for Grasshopper Brownies.

Grasshopper Brownies



Ingredients

For the Brownies

1 box brownie mix, any variety
Eggs, water, and oil called for in box mix directions
1 tsp. mint extract
1/2 cup chopped up Andes mints or Andes mint chips

For the Frosting

1 package cream cheese, softened
1 tsp. chocolate powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Optional Garnish

Halved Andes Mints

Directions

1. Preheat oven and grease pan as directed on the brownie package.
2.  Make the box mix brownies as directed on the package.
3.  Add mint extract and mint chips; mix well.
4.  Pour batter into pan and bake according to time directed on package.
5. Cool completely.
6. While brownies are cooling make the frosting by mixing all ingredients together until well incorporated.  If the frosting is a bit too liquid-y, just add more powdered sugar, little by little until the frosting is the desired consistency.
7. When brownies are cooled and the frosting is made, you can either frost the entire pan or you can cut the brownies into portions and pipe frosting onto each portion.
8. Garnish with halved Andes mints, if desired.





2 comments:

  1. I remember said restaurant giving them out but don't remember the name

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Where was that?? I cannot for the life of me remember, and neither could my dad. Someone has to be able to think of it, lol!

    ReplyDelete